Barbie (2023)

    


    So, I recently went and saw Barbie in theaters. I actually saw it twice. I didn't really know what I was getting into. I enjoyed this strange little gem of a film that can make grown men burn Barbie dolls and inspire church sermons centered around destroying Barbie dream houses. The movie was ridiculous and fun but with a message about the unfair expectations of women. These are the issues that we, women, endure on a daily basis. There is social reinforcement everywhere on the standards of how women should be, but it is also contradictory. Women should be empowered but know their place in a cis-white male-dominated world. They are standing too tall in a short room with low ceilings. It is even worse if you are trans or POC. The ceiling is so low you can barely breathe. Then there is the constant maneuvering around unwanted "male gaze" and having pepper spray in hand while your keys are clenched in your fist in case you have to defend yourself walking to your car at night. Then there are the subtle things, like when I was at work the other day, I complimented an older male customer that his shirt was nice, and when I gave him his change, he held my hand and rubbed his fingers softly on my palm. It was gross and inappropriate. Another time, I was leaning over, putting away stock and a male customer rubbed his hand against my lower back. I am sure that men also have to deal with this, but not at the rate that women do. Women get less pay and have fewer opportunities. Women professionals are scorned for not starting families or not being stay-at-home moms and vice versa. It is always something. 


    These social and gender norms are things that are conditioned into us as children and will stay with us unless we unteach these social and cultural expectations. Exposing people to cultural and gender identities through art and media creates discussions. Discussions lead to action and, in turn, change. Introducing complex topics through art creates an environment that surpasses just words but strikes emotions and reflection on topics they may have never even thought about. Art is about communication. It is a connection and shows the humanity in all of us. It shows what makes us human. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoko Ono's " Cut Piece" (1964)

Alfred Hitchcock's Read Window (1954) " Miss Lonely Heart- Dinner for Two"

Debra Bright's " Dream Girls " (1989)